Thursday, January 31, 2008

Chocolates Forever


I love chocolates. I love the bitterness of dark chocolate and the creamy, sensual flavor of it melting in your mouth. Then there are the different flavored ganaches - caramel, cherry, mint, ginger... hmmmm... plus the nutty bars... creamy and crunchy in one bite... what bliss!

I'm really surprised why there are no cacao plantations in the Philippines. I mean we basically have the same climate as the other cacao-growing countries, we can grow coffee why not cacao? Apparently, cacao plants are easily plagued with pests and diseases -the type of which could easily wipe out a whole plantation. But, I still believe there's some way to make them grow here! Imported chocolates are just too expensive! How can I make my own truffles with expensive Belgian chocolates?

I did try to make my own truffles using GQ (galing Quiapo) chocolates... I think they came from China. The truffles weren't that bad, but of course it can't compare with the Truffettes de France's (2nd floor EDSA Shangri-la, MOA). A 250g box costs P480. You can literally get drunk with the cocoa powder that delicately coats each truffle. And the chocolate center is just... precious - creamy and milky which is a very good contrast to the strong taste of the powder coat.

My truffles was filled with ganache and rolled in Ricoa powder, the others in confectioner's sugar. As I said it wasn't that bad for a beginner chocolatier. I really really want a chocolate shop! Make my own chocolates, I can see the people lining up now! Hahahaha Wishful dreaming - there's just no market for chocolates here. Rich pinoys would prefer buying imported and the not so rich would prefer spending their money for cellphone load and other more filling food. But I'm surprised that Sonia's cupcake and other relatively high end food products are doing well. But, I may be wrong. I mean, the cupcake craze may just be a trend. And ugggghhh the cost of maintaining a shop at a posh area such as Bonifacio high street.

Oh well, there's nothing wrong in making chocolates for myself!

(Photo from www.dessertcomesfirst.com - thanks!)

No comments: